Michael Fernandez, Founder | e: michael [@] quant6.com | t: 415.890.4833 ext 700
Michael is the founder of Quant 6. He assembles and leads teams to launch new ventures. Prior to founding Quant 6, Michael advised c-level executives of private companies as a Managing Director with BTI Group, the largest west coast M&A advisory firm serving the small and mid-sized business market. As an entrepreneur, Michael co-founded Great Coffee, a venture backed e-commerce company creating both CoffeeReview.com and GreatCoffee.com. He built and led the engineering and design teams earning two Forbes "Best of the Web" awards and he was recognized as a leading e-commerce Chief Technology Officer (CTO) by Infoworld. He began his career at JP Morgan, designing systems for quantitative analytics, followed by Mars & Co, a top-tier management consulting firm where he built analytic models to extract business insights from corporate data. He did his post-graduate internship in corporate finance as an equity analyst at Parnassus Investments.
Michael is a US Army Veteran. He was the #1 ranked Distinguished Military Graduate of his ROTC class and ranked #1 in his Officer Basic Course. He trained in military communication networks and electronic systems and was promoted to the rank of Captain after graduating from the JFK Special Warfare Center and while serving in a special operations unit; US Army Reserves.
- Little Kids Rock, Co-founder and Chairman Emeritus; Little Kids Rock is a national non-profit restoring and revitalizing music education in disadvantaged public schools by donating instruments and music lessons to over 130,000 kids annually across the U.S. and in 25 cities. Little Kids Rock has been featured in Forbes and Rolling Stone, and supported by Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Metallica, and many other musical luminaries.
- NCIRE, Board Member; NCIRE is the leading nonprofit medical research institute in the United States devoted to pioneering new treatments and providing medical care for military Veterans.
- Tides: Board Member; Tides provides donor-advised grants to nonprofits working toward social change in the US and abroad. To date, Tides has managed project and grantmaking activities totaling more than $2 billion.
- San Francisco Fleet Week: Advisory Board Member; With over 1.1 million visitors and one of the largest annual events in San Francisco, the San Francisco Fleet Week 2014 mission is to focus on Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response Preparedness while thanking the young men and women of the Naval Services for their selfless devotion to duty in safeguarding our country.
Michael brings together thought leaders to share skills, build relationships, and exchange ideas across domains to shape the future of business, medicine, and trade. He organized and led the following gatherings of industry leaders:
- Neuro-Innovation, Frontiers of the Human Brain 2014: Executive Producer, Course Advisor; Bringing together leading neuroscientists to discuss how to design a new new paradigm for integrating Big Data analytics, data sharing, research collaboration, and new methods for combining government funding, corporate investment, and philanthropy to accelerate innovation in neuroscience.
- P3 Leadership Summit 2014: Founder, Organizer; Bringing together leaders in real estate, construction, capital markets, and law to share ideas on how to use public-private partnerships to transform cities.
- Women and Worth 2014: Organizer; Bringing together women leaders to inspire, train, and share ideas to develop future women leaders.
- Wharton M&A West-Leadership Summit 2013: Founder and Chairman; Leadership summit bringing together leaders from the top private equity, law, investment banking firms, and corporate america to share best practices in deal making, investing, and the management of companies.
- Transatlantic West 2013: Founder and Chairman; A private invitation-only leadership gathering designed to build transatlantic relationships bringing together 70 leaders from business and politics including alumni from prestigious fellowships and invited special guests from the Council of Foreign Relations, Bay Area Council, Pacific Council, German Consulate, British Consulate, Italian Consulate, German Silicon Valley Accelerator, German Marshall Fund, DLA Piper, Dell, Google, Goldman Sachs, Oracle, Bank of America, and many others.
- C-Level Big Data Roundtables 2013, Organizer, Host; A panel discussion on the impact of Big Data on the corporate enterprise.
Honors and Recognition:
- Top Emerging Leader-San Francisco Business Times
- One of the most influential Bay Area Latinos-Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Certificate of Honor: by Mayor of San Francisco
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition: by Speaker of US House
- Marshall Memorial Fellow
- White House Fellowship-National Finalist
- Meditation, mixed-martial arts (black belt-instructor), yoga, rock climbing, painting