There are many types of allergies and they all have some sort of reaction to the body. Here is everything you need to know about latex allergy, its causes, symptoms, and treatment and should go to an allergy specialist doctor.
What Is Latex Allergy?
Latex allergy is the reaction of your body to anything made out of latex. Latex is a man-made plastic, which is used in making lots of things. Surgical gloves, sutures, condoms, balloons, bandages, etc. are just some of the few things which are made out of latex. There are also surgical clothes that have latex in them, in order to make them sterile and easy to work in.
Latex can have adverse effects on someone’s skin, especially if the contact is quite frequent. If you are someone who is allergic to latex, then you should try to avoid using things with latex in them or if you are going through surgery, then it’s best to let the doctors know that you are allergic to latex, so they can use something else for you.
What Are The Causes Of Latex Allergy?
Allergies have no such cause which can be identified, other than the fact that your immune system is highly compromised and under threat when your body comes in contact with certain things, latex being one of them. The common causes of latex allergy are:
- Inhalation of latex. This can occur if you try to sniff latex gloves or try to blow balloons. The latex particles can go into your body and make your immune system weak and suppressed.
- Another cause of latex allergy is skin contact. This can also be caused by gloves, condoms, putting on latex bandages, etc. This is the most direct contact you can have with latex and if it occurs more frequently, then it can lead to detrimental effects on the body and your skin.
- Internal contact with latex occurs when you are going through a surgical procedure and there are instruments with latex being used on you. If the latex instruments are prodding the incision, then it will be an internal contact and this can be quite dangerous to your body, especially if you are not aware that you are allergic to latex. This is why you need to know about your allergies before going through any surgical procedure.
Symptoms & Indication Of Latex Allergy
The symptoms are a good indicator to show you whether you are allergic to latex or not when you come in contact with it. Here are some symptoms of latex allergy.
- Your skin will look red and rashes will start to form on the surface, making it itch a lot.
- You might also start sneezing and coughing and this is also accompanied by shortness of breath or wheezing.
- Your eyes will be runny and extremely irritated.
- You will feel your chest being constricted and it will be hard for you to breathe in air properly.
- Some very dangerous symptoms include:
- Dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- This is a direct and sudden attack on the majority of the organs of your body and this is a high-risk medical emergency.
- Your blood pressure and pulse will drop suddenly, making you feel extremely weak and lethargic. This can also lead to unconsciousness.
Treatment Options For Latex Allergy
Here are some treatment options for latex allergy.
- The best way to prevent this allergy from aggravating is to avoid anything made out of latex. This includes latex gloves, rubber toys, balloons, protective gear, etc. You can go for alternative products which are not made out of latex and are safe to use for people with allergies of this sort.
- If your allergies do worsen because of latex, then having a shot of adrenaline will help to make you feel better. This needs to be done in an emergency room, however, and you need a doctor’s prescription for it.
There you have it! Latex allergy is a very common type of allergy, believe it or not. It occurs in most people and it can be easily treated if it is diagnosed on time. So, if you observe the symptoms, go to an allergy clinic Manassas as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment.
Next PagePrevious Page